Follow these tips to keep your teeth strong and clean this Halloween.
For some of us, the nightmares that keep us up at night are not the goblins hiding under our beds or the ghosts living in our closets; it’s the pending doom of a disappointed dentist post-Halloween. The spooky, holiday season can be a challenging time for those of us with a sweet tooth.
With Halloween festivities just around the corner and candy quickly appearing at every gathering and in every office, who can resist? To help you fight cavities and still enjoy your favorite treats this year, keep these tips in mind:
- Keep a travel toothbrush and toothpaste in your desk at work, purse, or car. This can help you stay consistent with your daily brushing habits and then some—especially if you know you are going to have a day filled with sweet treats.
- Floss after eating candies that contain caramel or taffy filling. The residue left by these types of candies may not brush away easily and tend to get stuck between your teeth. Instead of feeling self-conscious about your smile, keep a pack of Plackers flossers on hand.
- Trade in harsh candies for sugar-free gum. The sweet flavors of sugar-free gum can satisfy your sweet tooth and be a great alternative to hard candies that create cavities and unhealthy snacking habits.
- Trade in the fake blood on your Halloween costume for a glass of red wine. Yes, you read that correctly, some studies show red wine can actively fight bacteria that can lead to tooth decay and cavities. Just make sure to brush with a whitening toothpaste afterwards!
- Cheese it up this Halloween season. Increase the amount of dairy intake in your diet to increase calcium levels in your mouth to keep your teeth strong and combat-ready for candies.
Follow these tips to keep your teeth strong and clean this Halloween, so you can smile at your dentist with confidence.